From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4 installation
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:15:44
1 090828 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >>> KDE3 may be masked before KDE4 is marked arch stable
3 >> Maybe would be better to witch to gnome?
4 > Instead of Gnome consider something like XFCE.
5 > Very lightweight, builds quickly (say < 10 minutes) little disk space.
6 > It has menus like Gnome and KDE.
7 > I also like fluxbox but it's probably too minimal for a committed KDE user.
8
9 I was a committed KDE user till April, when I tried the latest Fluxbox
10 & haven't looked back: they've done a lot of work to make it useful.
11 I still use a few KDE 3 apps, but am resigned to finding alternatives,
12 if KDE 4.3.1 isn't a distinct improvement on 4.2.1, when I try it in Oct.
13 Besides Fluxbox, I can recommend Xfce's Thunar & Terminal,
14 which I now use regularly.
15
16 I expect to keep KDE 3.5.9 in my stand-by machine for a long time,
17 but I don't update either box using 'emerge world',
18 so I won't run into serious blocks & masks.
22 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
23 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
24 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca