From: "Canek Peláez" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Machine Cleanup
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 04:47:56
1 On 7/16/07, Samir Faci <samir.list@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > So, I have a gentoo install that's slowly evolved over the past 3 years
5 > or so years. It's now so cluttered with packages, it's becoming ridiculous,
6 > especially for a headless server. What I'd like to do is be able to remove
7 > all KDE/Gnome/X/gtk/qt/...etc out of the machine and not have it break the
8 > machine completely.
9 >
10 > Any suggestion on how to do go about this? At this stage, I'd like the
11 > server to have the basic system build, LAMP, and Postfix.
12
13 The easiest thing is to remove xorg entirely: uninstall
14 xorg-base/xorg-x11 and mask the package in /etc/portage/package.mask.
15 Also, add "-X -gtk -qt3 -qt4" to your USE flags. Then try an emerge
16 -uDNvp world; it would tell you what packages could not be resolved
17 because they need X.org.
18
19 It would be long and don't think it can be automated. When I
20 eliminated KDE (why did I have to install it in the first place?), it
21 took at least five emerges to get it done. You can advance by
22 equery'ing all the packages with kde, gnome, and x11 categories or
23 names, get the list and remove all of them.
24
25 Good luck: but it's going to take a little effort.
26 --
27 Canek Peláez Valdés
28 Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM
29 --