From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 10:43:45
1 On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:50:03AM +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 12 May 2011 10:51:32 -0400, Indi wrote:
3 >
4 > > > If it's as good as everyone says, what more support did it need? Did
5 > > > the KDE guys come knocking on your door to remove it, or do it
6 > > > remotely (Android anyone?), or did it just keep working?
7 >
8 > > That argument is probably valid when limiting the scope of the
9 > > discussion to gentoo, but the only use I ever had for kde3 was
10 > > for non-techie users who wouldn't know whether to poop or go
11 > > blind if they click on something and nothing happens
12 >
13 > So install a distro that still supports KDE3 if that's what you want or
14 > need. KDE 3.5.10 is still there, it hasn't been withdrawn from the
15 > shelves. You're hardly likely to use Gentoo for such users, so lack of
16 > core support for 3.5 in Gentoo is not an issue either.
19 I was just sharing my opinion, which was informed by my
20 experience. I'm surprised by the vehemence and persistence
21 of (apparently) political rhetoric in response to that.
22 Obviously the solutions look really simple and matter-of-fact
23 a year and a half later. The options were rather different
24 while it was actually going on, and all one has to do is STFW
25 to see that many people went through much distress over it.
26
27 Frankly, I am not a fan of the "shoot the messenger" approach
28 to dealing with bad news, especially as I really don't feel
29 I've said anything but the truth of my own experience. OK I'm
30 opinionated, but that opinion is backed by experience - that
31 makes it "anecdotal experience", something big corporations spend big
32 money to compile so they can tune and shape their ideas. The message
33 I'm getting is kde guys do not want any anecdotal experience unless
34 it is glowing praise or perhaps minor suggestions, so I will not speak
35 on it anymore.
36
37 Employing all that sort of rhetoric has the effect of making
38 discussion uncomfortable and restrictive, which I suppose is
39 the idea. Personally, I do not wish to say any more on the matter,
40 except to note that the sort of response I've encountered does
41 not inspire hope for the future of kde. :(
42
43 And with that, I am "out" on this subject, so if someone now
44 needs to shame me and put me in my place again that's fine,
45 and I will not respond so you'll have the last word. Just
46 know that I do not subscribe to all that shame-based grandstanding
47 silliness, so it's pretty much wasted on me.
48
49 No hard feelings, I understand we all have our burdens in life.
50 :)
53 caveat utilitor