From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:41:30
1 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
2 > On 2012-12-25, Bruce Hill wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 02:10:28PM +0200, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
5 >>> No, actually it doesn't. It just has the same kind of very generic claim
6 >>> that has been repeated several times in this thread (which is "why?
7 >>> because it won't work") and links to an article that explains why some
8 >>> udev rules would silently fail for all this time (for *years* now, I'd
9 >>> guess).
10 >>>
11 >>> The article does not describe a change introduced with 181, it describes
12 >>> what already happened with previous versions. I am not using >= 181 and
13 >>> I do see the issues the article mentions (it does not break here because
14 >>> I do not have a separate /usr, but I can see some rules that use stuff
15 >>> from /usr).
16 >> You have such an obvious lack of understanding, and problem comprehending
17 >> English, we just don't need to post to you anymore. ;)
18 > Please be my guest and explain me in which part of that article is it
19 > said that some behavior *introduced in udev-181* will break systems with
20 > a separate /usr.
24 Quoting from Gentoo news item:
25
26 root@fireball / # eselect news read 2
27 2012-03-16-udev-181-unmasking
28 Title udev-181 unmasking
29 Author William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
30 Posted 2012-03-16
31 Revision 1
32
33 udev-181 is being unmasked on 2012-03-19.
34
35 This news item is to inform you that once you upgrade to a version of
36 udev >=181, if you have /usr on a separate partition, you must boot your
37 system with an initramfs which pre-mounts /usr.
38
39 An initramfs which does this is created by
40 >=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or
41 >=sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be
42 sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.
43
44 Also, if you are using OpenRC, you must upgrade to >= openrc-0.9.9.
45
46 For more information on why this has been done, see the following URL:
47 http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
48
49 root@fireball / #
50
51 Now are you saying the Gentoo devs are lying to us? Careful now. Could
52 end up on a slippery slope and bump your head. That says anything BEFORE
53 181 boots fine with a separate /usr, 181 or anything after does not.
54 Simple enough for you yet?
55
56 I might add, I have ALWAYS had a separate /usr. Darn near a decade
57 now. It has never failed to boot because /usr was on a separate
58 partition. NOT ONCE. Now I am told it is going to fail. Go figure.
59 Go try to tell me that it was broken all these years. Yea, right.
60 That's like telling me the Sun comes up in the west when I can see it
61 doesn't with my own two eyes. Good luck with that. Reminds me of
62 that"tell it to the hand" thing. ROFL
63
64 Dale
65
69 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!