From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Setting up postfix and dovecot
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 12:58:51
1 Hello list,
2
3 Is there a guide anywhere to setting up dovecot to work with postfix and serve
4 IMAP mail to a client on the same LAN segment? I've only found fragmentary,
5 outdated guides to certain aspects of the whole setup and I'm left scratching
6 my head.
7
8 The first difficulty is knowing what domain names to use. I have a .me.uk
9 account, which I could assign to my Internet connection and then ask my ISP to
10 forward its mail to me, or should I only consider the local traffic on the LAN
11 and use its ID? What names do I put in my self-certified SSL? And where should
12 all the SSL files go? /etc/postfix, /etc/dovecot or /etc/ssl? I don't intend
13 to run a web server on the same box, nor to use the postfix box to send
14 outgoing mail: I just want to fetch my ISP's mail via POP3 (they don't offer
15 IMAP) and serve it to my workstation via IMAP.
16
17 It would be good to start the new year with a working setup.
20 Regards,
21 Peter.