From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:11:24
1 Hi, Neil.
2
3 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:56:36PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:01:32 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > > Read my other mail and pay attention to the difference between
7 > > > transient and persistent.
8
9 > > In my proposed solution, the executables in /sbin would only exist until
10 > > /usr had been mounted and the runtime PATH set up. After the
11 > > unification of /usr, /sbin won't even exist (apart from in schemes like
12 > > mine).
13
14 > What happens to files that are installed to /bin, /sbin or /lib by
15 > default?
16
17 Aren't they getting shoved into /usr? I thought that was the whole point
18 of the excercise.
19
20 > Where do kernel modules go?
21
22 I hadn't actually thought of that - I've never built a kernel with
23 modules enabled. Where do kernel modules go? Won't they be going into
24 /usr somewhere?
25
26 Incidentally, dracut says it won't work on a kernel without modules. I
27 don't know if it's true or not.
28
29 > > I look forward with foreboding to the time when such recovery will not
30 > > be possible. Only a legacy Gentoo system or a recovery CD will help
31 > > then. I think it highly probable that "can't boot" bugs will continue
32 > > to happen occasionally. I'd like to carry on having a bootable
33 > > skeleton system for when this happens.
34
35 > When an initramfs fails to boot, it drops you to a busybox shell, ...
36
37 You know, that cheers me up a lot.
38
39 > ...although I also have a SystemRescueCD ISO in /boot for such
40 > situations.
41
42 I suppose I could do with that, too. And I should learn how to use it.
43
44 > --
45 > Neil Bothwick
46
47 > Top Oxymorons Number 12: Plastic glasses
48
49 I wear spectacular glasses.
52 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).