From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] disk /dev entry
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 22:04:41
7 product: ST31000528AS
8 vendor: Seagate
9 physical id: 0.0.0
10 bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
11 logical name: /dev/sdc
12 version: CC37
13 serial: 9VP21EZB
14 size: 931GiB (1TB)
15 capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
16 configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=2adeb97b
19 *-disk
21 product: ST31000528AS
22 vendor: Seagate
23 physical id: 0
24 bus info: ide@1.0
25 logical name: /dev/hdc
26 version: CC3E
27 serial: 9VP9G4VW
28 size: 931GiB (1TB)
29 capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm partitioned
30 partitioned:dos
31 configuration: signature=1e89b64b smart=on
34 These are both SATA disks. Why is the first one showing up as /dev/sdc and the
35 second as /dev/hdc? I thought all SATA disks would show up as sd* and EIDE
36 disks showed up as hd*.
37
38 I note that the bus info is different - one showing the scsi bus and one the
39 ide bus. Both devices are plugged into a row of SATA ports on my mobo.
42 "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it." - Steven Wright