From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up if you start X with startx; xorg-server suid flag
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 09:34:40
1 On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:53:47 +0800
2 kwkhui@××××.net wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:03:40 +0200
5 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > It's not in the profile, the xorg-server ebuild sets USE="suid" on
8 > > by default.
9 > >
10 > > Most likely is that Walter has USE="-suid" in his make.conf and sets
11 > > it back on for things he's checked out personally. Meaning that in
12 > > this case one slipped through.
13 >
14 > I suspect it is a USE="-* (blah)" rather than an explicit USE="-suid"
15 > in the make.conf file.
16 >
17 > One question though --- should the xorg-server ebuild be such that
18 > IUSE="(blah) +suid" when using a hardened-profile?
19
20 That already has a de-facto answer; USE="suid" must be on by default
21 as without it users cannot run a desktop (xorg-server does not yet run
22 without root permissions)
23
24 > Also, checking
25 > my PORTDIR, given the global description in use.desc (suid - Enable
26 > setuid root program, with potential security risks), shouldn't the
27 > suid use flag entries (net-analyzer/nagios-plugins:suid and
28 > net-wireless/kismet:suid) be deleted from use.local.desc?
29
30 I see this is being discussed on -dev ATM. Duncan has this to say:
31
32 "Promoting a flag to global does mean it gets a global description in
33 use.desc, but per package descriptions (as now maintained in the per-
34 package metadata.xml files, but there's a tree maintenance script that
35 keeps use.local.desc current based on the metadata files, to keep the
36 tools using it working) continue to be encouraged where they are
37 useful, as they can often provide much more detailed per-package
38 descriptions of what the flag actually does in that specific package,
39 than the global description can."
40
41 The current policy seems to be the sensible one: A global generic
42 description can exist, but more specific package-level descriptions are
43 also supported. I'd agree with that; a policy of "only global
44 descriptions" or "no global description if a local one exists" would be
45 overly restrictive and just cause problems. On the whole, we humans are
46 perfectly OK with the idea of over-loading concepts; this is not
47 something we have problems with.
52 Alan McKinnon
53 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com