From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new version of gcc
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:27:31
1 Harry Putnam writes:
2
3 > I noticed I've been masking gcc beyond version 4.3.2-r3, and have
4 > forgotten why I had it masked.
5 >
6 > I'm updating world right now, and wondered if I were to move up to
7 > most recent gcc (4.4.2), which would be a 5 version jump, what I could
8 > expect in the way of problems.
9 >
10 > Would I need to re-emerge just about everything?
11
12 The upgrade guide says yes, but this seems to be true only when the ABI
13 changes, which happend for the last time when gcc 4.3 was introduced. I
14 would not do the emerge -e thing.
15 Unless this new gcc has some cool features you want to use. Then you would
16 change your CFLAGS, and either let the changes gradually drop in, or re-
17 emerge everything to make them happen at once.
18
19 What do you people think, are there fancy new and yet save CFLAGS that
20 would improve our Gentoos? http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html lists
21 some improvements, to me they don't look too spectacular. Well, maybe
22 apart from the graphite stuff
23 (http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Graphite/PolyhedralInterface) which has been
24 mentioned here. I don't know how much of an improvement this may be.
25
26 Wonko