From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hardware autodetection at boot
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 16:28:23
1 On Thursday 29 May 2008, Pawel K wrote:
2 > I compiled the kernel with all modules:
3 >
4 > make allmodconfig
5 > make
6 > make modules_install
7 >
8 > I have udev running on my machine since more than a year.
9 > I created the following section in grub.conf:
10 >
11 > title vanilla-all-modules
12 > root (hd0,0)
13 > kernel /boot/kernel-all-modules root=/dev/hda1
14 >
15 > The kernel is unable to mount my ext3 root filesystem.
16 > It shows the following message:
17 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
18 > unknown-block(0,0).
19 >
20 > (hd0,0) is correct since I copied it from my daily grub section.
21 > I have ext3.ko in the following path:
22 > /lib/modules/2.6.24.3/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko
23 >
24 > Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.
25
26 The driver for the root filesystem must be built into the kernel (not
27 as a module) unless you use an initramfs that loads the modul before
28 the kernel/init take over.
29
30 Uwe
33 Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!
34 --
35 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list