From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qucik and (not so) dirty WLAN setup
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 10:23:49
1 On Saturday 25 July 2015 11:19:39 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > Short "second" question:
4 > Is it possible to limit the devices, which could connect to the access
5 > point, to some MACs ?
6
7 It depends on the device you choose for your access point. Some allow you to
8 filter MACs, others may not. Sorry I can't help you choose - it seems to be
9 hard to find real information before you buy.
10
11 > (I know, this is not 100% secure, since even those could be faked, but
12 > the average script kiddy may be block for a while.)
13
14 As you say, MACs are supposedly prone to being spoofed. I only say
15 "supposedly" because I haven't seen any reports of its happening. Much depends
16 on what you perceive the threat to be: are you in a city with any number of
17 unknown people passing by daily, or like me in a village where you know your
18 neighbours?
19
20 Of course, you'll also have an effective firewall on each machine that can be
21 reached from the wireless network.
24 Rgds
25 Peter