From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To x86_64 or not to x86_64
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:20:48
1 Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
2
3 > I have an AMD 64x2 that I have been using only in x86 mode since I got
4 > it. I have been thinking of going to x86_64 mode but I'm wondering if
5 > it's worth the trouble with multilib, chroot'ing, firefox-bin and other
6 > compromises (admittedly some minor). I realize I should see some speed
7 > increase but probably only in certain areas such as compiling.
8 >
9 > So, for those users who have used both, is it worth it overall?
10
11 Here are my experiences with amd64, I just helped a friend installing it.
12 After reading here we thought it might not be worth the potential trouble,
13 but this many registers not being used just feels a little bad. And she
14 does mpeg encodings frequently, which is one thing that should work faster.
15
16 First peoblem was the minimal Gentoo boot CD. It hang, I think when mounting
17 the root FS from the squashfs image on CD. I thought I had a faulty CD-RW
18 medium, but a second ttempt with a new CD-ROM gave the same result. But
19 there was a kubunto install CD with 64 bit support.
20
21 We had trouble with grub. Tab completion did not work, in and outside the
22 chroot. I did not dare to install, because there were other disks I did not
23 want to endanger. I found and emerged grub-static then, which automatically
24 installed into /boot, but something went wrong and grub only showed a GRUB
25 message. I installed gurb manually (root (hd0,0), setup (hd0)), and all was
26 fine then.
27 BTW, the manual says that grub-static is only needed when you are on the
28 multilib profile. I think I am (/etc/make.profile is
29 $PORTDIR/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2007.0(desktop), but emerge --info
30 does not show the multilib use flag, which I have defined in make.conf.
31 Huh? But it seems that if I were not on multilib, grub would have been
32 masked and refused to build.
33
34 Next thing I would never have thought of: the root file system was too
35 small. I made it 500 MB bis, as /usr, /var, /opt, /tmp and /home are on
36 LVM. A little small because of /root/.ccache, but I usually symlink that to
37 somewhere else. But why is /lib/modules larger than 300 MB? I would expect
38 this to be around 30 MB, which is double the size of these directories on
39 my other system, but even ten times more than that? Is something wrong
40 here? The installation handbook does not mention this, and also suggest a
41 small root partition. The examplee shows 132 MB used there, this looks okay
42 to me.
43
44 Flash does not work (yet). I emerged netscape-flash and and nspluginwrapper,
45 but firefox and konqueror do not have flash working. Did not investigate
46 this further yet.
47
48 OpenGL works with software rendering only. The card is a Radeon X1550 /
49 RV505 and should be supported by the ati-drivers. Module fglrx loads, but
50 when starting X, I get this error:
51
52 (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed
53 (/usr/lib64/dri/fglrx_dri.so: undefined symbol:
54 __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
55 (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
56
57 I did not find much helpfun information on this yet. One hint is to disable
58 Option AIGLX in ServerFlags section of xorg.conf. This gets rid of the
59 mesage, and I have "dirent rendering enabled" in the X log file, but
60 glrxinfo shows this:
61 libGL error: failed to open DRM: Operation not permitted
62 libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
63 display: :0.0 screen: 0
64 OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
65 OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
66 OpenGL version string: 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)
67
68 Any ideas on that? We do not want the radeon driver because things like
69 multiple displays and tv-out are not working well, I read. I tried anyway,
70 I could modprobe radeon, but cannnot start X because a missing device
71 section for the 2nd BusID. Maybe I should specify this in xorg.conf (I
72 tried a little but to no avail), or get a fresh config instead of one from
73 another boot CD. But X -configure does not work.
74
75 X Window System Version 1.3.0
76 Release Date: 19 April 2007
77 X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
78 Build Operating System: UNKNOWN
79 Current Operating System: Linux tanja 2.6.23-gentoo-r9 #9 SMP PREEMPT Mon
80 Mar 17 15:14:45 CET 2008 x86_64
81 Build Date: 16 March 2008
82 Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
83 to make sure that you have the latest version.
84 Module Loader present
85 Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
86 (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
87 (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
88 (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Mar 18 22:02:27 2008
89 List of video drivers:
90 radeonhd
91 ati
92 r128
93 atimisc
94 fglrx
95 radeon
96 vesa
97
98 Backtrace:
99 0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x6d) [0x47cd4d]
100 1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x2b7db9a29430]
101 2: /lib/libc.so.6(memcpy+0x46) [0x2b7db9a6e916]
102 3: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(atiddxProbeMain+0xf1)
103 [0x2b7dba934731]
104 4: X(DoConfigure+0x1f5) [0x47a955]
105 5: X(InitOutput+0x6a5) [0x468025]
106 6: X(main+0x275) [0x439d85]
107 7: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf4) [0x2b7db9a16b74]
108 8: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x229) [0x439259]
109
110 Fatal server error:
111 Caught signal 11. Server aborting
112
113 Aborted
116 That's it so far. Now compiling {k,open}office. Oh, the /var partition got
117 full _again_. Does the install guide mention how HUGE things get on amd64?
118
119 Wonko
120 --
121 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list