From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] volume buttons doesn't work
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 19:05:34
1 On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 05:32:03PM +0100, Penguin Lover Pat squawked:
2 > I've bought Dell Latitude E4300 and start to install Gentoo on it, but
3 > the volume buttons don't work. Please, could someone give me hint where
4 > I have to start to fix it?
5
6 The volume keys are not "standard" per se, which is why they often don't
7 work out of the box. I have not figured out a way to have them work in
8 CLI, but you can get them to work in X, using one of the following two
9 ways.
10
11 1) emerge xbindkeys
12 Read the documentation on xbindkeys to see how to write a
13 configuration file. On my Dell Latitude D600, the keycodes for
14 the volume keys are:
15 Volume up 176
16 Volume down 174
18 So in your ~/.xbindkeysrc, you can write a line like
19 -------<snip>----------
20 "amixer sset PCM +1"
21 m:0x0 + c:176
22 -------<unsnip>--------
23 and change your command and keycode appropriately. Lastly you
24 need to start xbindkeys. I usually have it start in my ~/.xinitrc
25 before the WM. But you can also just add it to the list of
26 programs automatically run by your WM on startup.
27
28 2) I think this way is probably better, but the last I tried I
29 couldn't get it to play well with e16, which is why I mention the
30 previous method. This method works with at least fvwm, and
31 probably most other WMs.
32
33 emerge xmodmap (if it is not installed already)
34 add the following lines to ~/.xmodmaprc
35 ---------<snip>-----------
36 keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
37 keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
38 keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
39 --------<unsnip>----------
40 and make sure to start xmodmap when you start your X (again,
41 either by starting xmodmap in ~/.xinitrc or in your WM).
42
43 I believe some modern WMs will automagically tie the XF86Audio*
44 keys to appropriate mixer commands to raise or lower volume. If
45 not (as in the case of fvwm), you need to edit the keybinding for
46 those keys, and how to do this depends on your Window Manager of
47 choice.
48
49 Regards,
50
51 W
52 --
53 "Physics in the Laundromat"
54 "The Rolling Motion of a Half-full Beer Can"
55 Some of the favorite past-times of Prof. Kirk T. McDonald.
56 See http://puhep1.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/
57 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 757 days, 17:35