From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 22:46:16
1 On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:30:02PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:38 on Thursday 12 May 2011, Dale did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > > Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 > > > On Thu, 12 May 2011 08:46:32 -0500, Dale wrote:
7 > > >> So, you think most of the KDE users were happy to see support for KDE3
8 > > >> being dropped, especially considering KDE4 was much less than stable?
9 > > >> For me and a lot of others, it was worthless at first. It was good eye
10 > > >> candy but not functional even for the little I do.
11 > > >
12 > > > I didn't switch until 4.3 or 4.4, KDE 3.5 worked fine for me up until
13 > > > then. It probably still works just as well now as part of the Trinity
14 > > > project.
15 > >
16 > > Which supports my point. Maintain KDE3 until KDE4 is stable and
17 > > usable. If it is still working, which I think it is tho some fixes have
18 > > had to be made, then why couldn't KDE support KDE3 just a little while
19 > > longer.
22 > So here's two killer questions for you:
23 >
24 > 1. How much money did you pay towards KDE dev salaries overall?
25 > 2. How many times does your name appear in KDE Changelogs?
26 >
27 > While the answer to both is "zero" you do not get to complain.
28 >
29 > Here's another killer:
30 >
31 > Q. What's the difference between KDE devs and Dale?
32 > A: KDE devs launched an editor and typed code.
35 That's called "grandstanding", where I come from.
36
37 I certainly agree that the devs' rights trump the
38 users' rights in FOSS, and that's as it should be.
39
40 It is however a fact of life that while you have no
41 ethical obligation to your users beyond telling the
42 truth and not being evil, some users will choose not
43 to use your software if the devs' attitude is perceived
44 as dismissive or insensitive toward the concerns of their
45 users.
46
47 That's just human nature. You don't have to like it or agree
48 with it but in the end you are limited by it. :)
51 caveat utilitor