From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a question about emerge --sync
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:09:35
1 On 01/08/2014 16:30, behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > Hello everybody.
3 > I have a little bandwidth problem. I don't want to update my packages
4 > very frequently.
5 > Is it save to sync my portage not very often, say every month or two,
6 > so when I install something I wont be warned that some of my packages
7 > are outdated?
8 > In this manner I wont need to mask my packages, to prevent them from
9 > updating, right ?
12 When to sync is completely in your control, so do it as often as you
13 want. When installing a package, portage will want to install the latest
14 deps according to your arch and mask/keywords, so if you haven't synced
15 in a while, there's fewer updates.
16
17 I used to do this often, as ZA used to have huge bandwidth problems.
18 Back then I would only sync when I had decent bandwidth and I would
19 fetch the distfiles in advance:
20
21 emerge -pvf... <whatever> and then use the regular grep\sed\sawk tools
22 to get a list of distfiles to download. I would fetch those and write
23 them to $PORTDIOR/distfiles
24
25 When I ran emerge world for real, it would not need to fetch tarballs as
26 they were already there.
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com