From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] "universal" CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/CHOST for 64bit (AMD64 & EMT64T)?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 16:04:43
1 Hi,
2 how should I change/set CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/CHOST if I want to have
3 system which can be easily migrated between AMD64 and Intel/Core
4 without recompilation? I have a few virtual servers which I can
5 not move from one arch to the other, as they have hw-specific
6 CFLAGS (different host-server hardware, both AMD64 and EM64T):
7
8 I have systems with Athlon64/X2 and Core2Quad, with settings:
9 CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe"
10 CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
11 CHOST is always "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu".
12
13 I'm not sure "-mtune=generic" is the right solution, because
14 it would generate code for IA32/AMD64/EM64T (if I understand
15 gcc manual correctly, for both 32bit as well as 64bit HW).
16
17 What I'm looking for are some generic 64bit settings only for
18 AMD64/EM64T (not 32bit/IA32) similar as for distros with binary
19 distributions (i.e. I can download Ubuntu either 32bit or 64bit
20 version, no other hardware-specific difference). I know with
21 "universal" 64bit binaries I'm going to loose some pefrormance,
22 but for me flexibility with migration would overweight this
23 disadvantage...
24
25 Jarry
29 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
30 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.