From: Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Does portage monkey directly with /etc/portage/package.use
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 23:16:01
1 Use a MAILTO= in your crontab and notifications will go to any address
2 you want, leave MAILTO blank and it won't mail at all.
3
4 On 9/27/09, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 08:55:42AM +0100, Mick wrote
6 >
7 >> To complete the diagnosis we may need the version of your portage? ;-)
8 >
9 > Sorry about that. Here are the details...
10 >
11 > [d530][root][~] emerge -pv portage
12 >
13 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
14 >
15 > Calculating dependencies... done!
16 > [ebuild R ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.6.13 USE="-build -doc -epydoc
17 > (-selinux)"
18 > LINGUAS="-pl" 0 kB
19 >
20 > Since it only shows up with mutt so far, maybe it's actually mutt...
21 >
22 > d530 mutt # emerge -pv mutt
23 >
24 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
25 >
26 > Calculating dependencies... done!
27 > [ebuild R ] mail-client/mutt-1.5.20-r4 USE="pop smime smtp -berkdb
28 > -crypt -debug -doc -gdbm -gnutls -gpg -idn -imap -mbox -nls -nntp -qdbm
29 > -sasl -sidebar -ssl -vanilla" 0 kB
30 >
31 > It is remotely possible that I did make the package.use entries
32 > manually, but very unlikely.
33 >
34 > Speaking of mutt, is there a way to turn off its insistence on
35 > creating symlinks called "sendmail"? My most embarressing moment as a
36 > linux user came several years ago when I first created an hourly
37 > cronjob. I wasn't aware of the need for ending it with "2>&1". The
38 > garbage output went to root via "sendmail", which was actually a symlink
39 > to mutt. mutt is a deliberately dumb mailer that simply pushes email
40 > out the door to my ISP's MTA. So the hourly garbage went to root at my
41 > ISP. They sent me a polite email asking me to kindly stop. <G>
42 >
43 > I took a couple of steps then. Besides adding "2>&1" to my cronjobs,
44 > I set root=<myaccount> in /etc/ssmtp/ssmpt.conf, so that any stuff
45 > getting through would go to my account at my ISP, not to root at my ISP.
46 > I also went around stomping on the symlinks. So far, I've discovered
47 > /usr/bin/sendmail and /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/sbin/sendmail. In each
48 > case, I deleted the symlink, created a directory by that name, and did a
49 > "touch .keep" inside the directory.
50 >
51 > --
52 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
57 Sent from my mobile device