From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which desktop antivirus?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 17:29:25
1 Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I'm asked for a desktop antivirus (the box is running KDE) but I have never
5 > used an antivirus on Linux. This page that I googled up shows a number of
6 > them:
7 >
8 > http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-linux-antivirus-programs/
9 >
10 > Meanwhile, portage only lists clamav under app-antivirus/.
11 >
12 > The machine in question is running kmail to receive/send messages from ISP
13 > mail servers and ssmtp to send log messages for relaying via said ISP.
14 >
15 > What have you tried and what would you recommend for such a desktop setup?
16
17 I have to agree with most everyone else on this one. You don't really
18 need a anit-virus software to protect yourself. I do think it is good
19 that you want to protect others by catching them while on your machine
20 and then you know not to spread them around to others who can be
21 infected. I used to do this a long time ago but I have policies here
22 about sending messages to others. Mostly, I don't do it unless I know
23 it is virus free. If I get a video that is funny or something, I find
24 it on youtube and just forward a link to that. I'm sure youtube checks
25 its stuff to be sure it is clean.
26
27 If you set up a process like this, you shouldn't spread anything but you
28 do have to think before hitting forward too. I think people have
29 figured out I don't forward just anything so I don't get a lot of "junk"
30 anymore.
31
32 I do agree on using AVG as someone else posted. I have that on my
33 brothers XP box. He likes it better than Norton that he used to pay
34 for. If you can get that running on Linux, then that would be great.
35 Another pretty good one that I used to use was f-prot but I think AVG
36 would be better still.
37
38 Dale
39