From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd'ing small drive to large one
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:15:12
1 On Monday 31 January 2011 21:19:44 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > I just wrote:
3 > > My only fear is that the different drive geometry will be a problem, so
4 > > Grub does not find its stage2 in /boot, or file systems will unreadable
5 > > due to things being specified as head, cylinder and sector, instead of
6 > > absolute blocks. I'm pretty confident that there should be no problem,
7 > > but if I am wrong, I will be in trouble.
8 >
9 > Now I'm really really sure there will be no problem. What I wrote above
10 > about the gemotry is true I think, but all modern drives seem to have
11 > 255 heads and 63 sectors per track, so they will be compatible.
12
13 Does this also include the new 4096 byte sectors that (some) of the new 1TB
14 drives have?
15
16 TBH to avoid such conundrums I would partition the darn thing using parted
17 with -a optimal option and then (s)tar/rsync the data into it. It will most
18 likely be faster than dd in any case as blank space and sparse files can be
19 easily taken care of with (s)tar/rsync.
22 Regards,
23 Mick