From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID help
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:42:51
1 On Tuesday 15 Oct 2013 20:28:46 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > I haven't had to set up a software RAID for years and now. I want to set
6 > > up two RAID 1 arrays on a new file server to serve SBM to MSWindows
7 > > clients. The first RAID1 having two disks, where a multipartition OS
8 > > installation will take place. The second RAID1 having two disks for a
9 > > single data partition.
10 > >
11 > > From what I recall I used mdadm with --auto=mdp, to create a RAID1 from 2
12 > > disks, before I used fdisk to partition the new /dev/md0 as necessary.
13 > > All this is lost in the fog of time. Now I read that these days udev
14 > > names the devices/partitions, so I am not sure what the implication of
15 > > this is and how to proceed.
16 > >
17 > > What is current practice? Create multiple /dev/mdXs for the OS
18 > > partitions I would want and then stick a fs on each one, or create one
19 > > /dev/md0 which thereafter is formatted with multiple partitions?
20 > > Grateful for any pointers to resolve my confusion.
21 >
22 > One of the best resources is the kernel RAID wiki:
23 > https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/
24
25 Thanks Paul! It seems that after a cursory look, both ways of partitioning a
26 RAID-1 are still available:
27
28 https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Partitioning_RAID_/_LVM_on_RAID
29
30 ========================================================
31 # df -h
32 Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
33 /dev/md2 3.8G 640M 3.0G 18% /
34 /dev/md1 97M 11M 81M 12% /boot
35 /dev/md5 3.8G 1.1G 2.5G 30% /usr
36 /dev/md6 9.6G 8.5G 722M 93% /var/www
37 /dev/md7 3.8G 951M 2.7G 26% /var/lib
38 /dev/md8 3.8G 38M 3.6G 1% /var/spool
39 /dev/md9 1.9G 231M 1.5G 13% /tmp
40 /dev/md10 8.7G 329M 7.9G 4% /var/www/html
41 =========================================================
42
43 and:
44
45 mdadm --create --auto=mdp --verbose /dev/md_d0 --level=mirror --raid-devices=2
46 /dev/sda /dev/sdb
47
48 which is thereafter partitioned with fdisk. This is the one I have used in
49 the past.
52 Which one is preferable, or what are the pros & cons of each?
55 Regards,
56 Mick