From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Enabling debugging symbols only for specific packages
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:07:29
1 Nikos Chantziaras writes:
2
3 > Is there a way to enable debugging symbols only for some packages? I
4 > need to do that for about 15 packages. Currently, all I can do is edit
5 > make.conf all the time when emerging one of those and add "-g" to CFLAGS
6 > and "splitdebug" to FEATURES. But I *always* forget about it the first
7 > time, ending up building twice.
8
9 This is possible. I have the problem that older GCCs do not know about
10 the -march=k8-sse3 CFLAG, so I had to change this to build them. So, I
11 created the file /etc/portage/env/sys-devel/gcc:3.4, containing this:
12
13 touch /tmp/package.env-gcc:3.4
14 CFLAGS="-march=k8"
15 CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
16
17 The files can contain any bash code. I added the touch comand in order
18 to verify that this code is actually being used. You could put this
19 inside there:
20
21 CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g"
22 CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
23 FEATURES="$FEATURES splitdebug"
24
25 This seems to work for me. The portage man page has some info about
26 this, it also mentions /etc/portage/package.env containing lines like
28 with <file> being /etc/portage/env/<conffile>. It suggests to use this
29 instead of my approach I described above. I did not use this yet, I
30 assume it should be used when making generic changes for a package, but
31 as I want the change not for all GCCs, but only for certain slots, I use
32 the method I described.
33
34 I'm using portage-2.2 BTW.
35