From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Curious pattern in log files from ssh...
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:55:12
1 On Wednesday 03 December 2008 22:02:43 Steve wrote:
2 > I've recently discovered a curious pattern emerging in my system log
3 > with failed login attempts via ssh.
4 >
5 > Previously, I noticed dictionary attacks launched - which were easy to
6 > detect... and I've a process to block the IP address of any host that
7 > repeatedly fails to authenticate.
8 >
9 > What I see now is quite different... I'm seeing a dictionary attack
10 > originating from a wide range of IP addresses - testing user-names in
11 > sequence... it has been in progress since 22nd November 2008 and has
12 > tried 7195 user names in alphabetical order from 521 distinct hosts -
13 > with no successive two attempts from the same host.
14
15 Slashdot yesterday, read the front page
16
17 It seems to be a co-ordinated and very well synchronized stealth bot-net. You
18 are one of many that has noticed this. I am noticing scans on machines that
19 have never been scanned before in all the time they have been up.
20
21 You should indeed be very concerned and take extra special due care with your
22 security arrangements currently. In fact, if you admin machines that are in
23 any way critical, you really *really* should be undertaking a thorough
24 security audit and make very sure you have done everything and covered all
25 your bases.
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com