From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compatibility with Kernel 2.6.9
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:13:24
1 On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 18:47 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > A quick question:
5 >
6 > If i install Gentoo on a system with a kernel version 2.6.9 (don't ask
7 > ...), are there issues I should be aware of?
8 >
9 > Do I have to mask newer glibc-versions, newer kernel headers or some use
10 > flags? What about the nptl use flag?
11
12 The oldest supported (gentoo-sources) kernel in the portage tree is
13 2.6.16. So there is the likelihood that anything that touches the
14 kernel or kernel headers (c library, device drivers, encryption
15 libraries, filesystems, device-mapper, udev/hotplug scripts) may have
16 compatibility issues.
17
18 OTOH if pull in a really old revision of the portage tree that has 2.6.9
19 and you never upgrade the tree then you should be fine ;-)
20
21 -a