From: Hans <linux@××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: old lappy fix
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 15:17:48
1 On 04/11/15 06:17, James wrote:
2 > hello,
3 >
4 > Over the years lots of folks have wondered about how to fix and old laptop
5 > to work with gentoo again, cost effectively. There seems to be (2) problems
6 > in the majority.
9 > 1. Which environment to set up for minimal old hardware:: That discussion
10 > can continue, but I like lxqt or lxde. Others should chime in, as I hope to
11 > create a howto or wiki page after some input.
14 > 2. The other (most common) issue that I think I have solved, is how to
15 > replace those old dead ide hard drives:: SYBA SD-CF-IDE-DI IDE to Compact
16 > Flash Adapter ( Direct Insertion Mode ) can be had for less that $5 USD.
17 > Combined with a 16Gb Compact flash card less that $20 usd and it should just
18 > slide right into the old 2.5" ide HD container slot and plug right in. You
19 > can up-size if you need to, but prices for the CF go crazy after 16Gb. There
20 > are many form factors for the syba card, so make sure you try
21 > the Direct connect one in this pic:: [1]. EXT2 w2orks best as a file system.
24 > Comments and physical verification are most welcome, as it fits snugly
25 > in (2) old lappies I have tested so far. I intend to also insert tiny pieces
26 > of bubble wrap for circuit boards, just to wedge it tightly in place.
27 > Very little heat generated with this solution. You can prolly get it down
28 > to a 4Gb card, if you are going 'thin client' with the restored lappy.
31 > I'm looking for all complimentary info to add to a howto or a wiki page
32 > on resurrecting old laptops (hardware and software) centric to gentoo, links
33 > are welcome too.
36 > James
39 > http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_147_150&product_id=612
44 I resurrected a 12 year old Toshiba laptop with 2GB RAM. Replaced the
45 flaky 40GB IDE drive after replacing the connector, with a 500GB SATA
46 drive salvaged from a broken Dell laptop. Then installed Gentoo, XFCE,
47 Libre Office, Firefox, Thunderbird and VLC. Everything works, except
48 for the dead battery.
49
50 If the laptop can boot from a USB port, use a external USB drive or USB
51 stick.