From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox + gentoo scrolling like a snail
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:54:33
1 On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On Saturday 26 June 2010 19:08:58 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Alan McKinnon
5 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
6 > > > On Saturday 26 June 2010 17:44:42 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
7 > > > > It's weird.
8 > > > >
9 > > > > Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it
10 > > >
11 > > > starts
12 > > >
13 > > > > heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels or so
14 > > > > until it (finallly) reaches the end. I've mostly observed this in
15 > the
16 > > > > downward direction, but I mostly scroll in that direction anyway so
17 > it
18 > > > > might not mean anything.
19 > > > >
20 > > > > What's wrong about this is that a single click should not do this,
21 > and
22 > > >
23 > > > does
24 > > >
25 > > > > not do this, on any other scrollbar on my machine. A single click
26 > > > > moves the "thumb" thingie a fixed amount which depends on where you
27 > > > > click. The worst part is that the application won't do anything else
28 > > > > until the scrolling is finished, and the scrolling for a very tall
29 > > > > page can take a couple of minutes.
30 > > > >
31 > > > > I keep trying to remember that dragging the "thumb" still works as
32 > > > > expected, but clicking is an old habit that's hard to drop.
33 > > > >
34 > > > > Am I the only one seeing this?
35 > > >
36 > > > I don't see that. What settings do you have for scrolling?
37 > > >
38 > > > Firefox config dialog -> Advanced -> General
39 > >
40 > > Firefox-3.6.3 -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General checked: -
41 > > Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages
42 > > - Use autoscrolling
43 > > - Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup
44 > >
45 > > I guess both of the first two are suspects, but AFAICR I've never touched
46 > > these.
47 >
48 > My setup is similar, so I don't know where to go from here :-)
49 >
50 > And someone else reported that heir konqueror does it too. If these things
51 > are
52 > related that would cancel out Firefox itself and move over to the video
53 > system
54 >
55 > Maybe. It's also possible I'm seeing it when working with email. I do
56 that in
57 several ways, though, and I'll have to figure out which combination(s)
58 actually
59 give me trouble. Then I guess it will be bug-writing time.
63 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD