From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Cannot remove files: operation not permitted
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:26:11
1 2006/7/14, Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > Hi there,
4 >
5 > I was trying to make a clean install on a disk with a previous
6 > installation of Gentoo on a reiserfs partition, but I wanted to keep some
7 > files. I thought I would be able to boot with the LiveCD, mount the
8 > partition, remove everything except the files I wanted to keep (moving them
9 > to a temporal directory) and then copy a stage3 to the partition.
10 >
11 > After mounting the partition and trying to rm -rf a directory I got a
12 > "Cannot remove ... operation not permitted". After googlong a while I found
13 > about chattr, and although it seems this is a ext2/3 tool I tried it and I
14 > was able to remove some files after doing a chattr -ia on them. Any way,
15 > there are some files I'm not able to delete, and they seem to be non regular
16 > files (links, linux sockets,...). Any idea why this is happening?
17 >
18 > Solved running reiserfsck --clean-attributes on the unmounted partition,
19 and then remounting the partition. After that I'm able to delete everything.
20
21 Best regards
22 Jose