From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 23:26:00
1 On 2011-12-06, Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 12:00:03PM +0100, LinuxIsOne wrote:
3 >
4 >> However, Getoo could be great (I really don't know) but installing
5 >> Ubuntu is working like a charm (I still don't know anything in Linux!)
6 >> But I don't know why the creators of Gentoo made it so difficult for
7 >> beginners!
8
9 Because that's the price of making it good for experienced users. A
10 lot of people will try to tell you it doesn't have to be that way, but
11 experience always seems to prove it is that way.
12
13 > It is typical then....
14 >
15 >> I don't know why the creators of Gentoo made it so difficult for
16 >> beginners! It is typical then....
17 >
18 > Whaddayatawkinbout, gentoo is more than great, it's awesome!
19 > Gentoo isn't intended for beginners, and makes no claims about
20 > "user friendliness" of which I'm aware. Generally speaking, making
21 > things "user friendly" entails adding more layers of abstraction.
22
23 And removing choice.
24
25 Ubuntu is _great_ if you want to accomplish the same things in the
26 same ways as the Ubuntu developers intended. If you want to do
27 anything they didn't think of ahead of time (or if you just want to do
28 it in a different manner), it's like trying to swim up a cliff.
31 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm using my X-RAY
32 at VISION to obtain a rare
33 gmail.com glimpse of the INNER
34 WORKINGS of this POTATO!!