From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [bit OT] 32 vs. 64 bits
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:47:24
1 On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 5:59 AM, pat <pat@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've bought a new laptop with Core 2 Duo processor which is 64 bit. My
5 > question is if applications (see below) compiled and running over 64 bits are
6 > stable enough or if I should compile for 32 bits.
7 >
8 > The applications are:
9 > - Seamoneky/Firefox
10 > - Java
11 > - Flash
12 > - Audacious
13 > - mplayer
14 > - VirtualBox/VMware
15 > - Qemu
16 > - Kerberos/OpenLDAP/OpenSSH (for these I think they are stable)
17 > - X.org/fluxbox
18 > - system suspending
19 >
20 > I have 4GB RAM and I know better is to compile for 64 bits, but for me is more
21 > important stability.
22 >
23 > Thanks a lot
24 >
25 > Pat
26
27 I think both 32-bit and 64-bit are very stable. I run both here. My
28 input would be that 32-bit Flash and Java are still more compatible
29 with stuff that's out there on the web and I'm generally better of on
30 my wife's 32-bit Gentoo machine than my own 64-bit machine. don't get
31 me wrong - 64-bit works really, really well or I would have dropped
32 it, but if you build 64-bit Gentoo you want to build with multi-lib so
33 you can run 32-bit stuff along the way.
34
35 Anyway, I'm not the most software technical guy and I don't run much
36 stuff that isn't marked stable so I cannot give you a leading edge
37 view but if I had purchased your hardware I'd build and run 32-bit
38 today and leave a 20GB partition for building 64-bit later.
39
40 Good luck,
41 Mark