From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple versions of automake?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:54:08
1 On Wednesday 10 March 2010 15:50:33 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I currently have 3 versions of automake installed (1.7.9-r1, 1.9.6-r3,
5 > and 1.10.2).
6 >
7 > emerge -pvuDN world shows an update available for each one, but, my
8 > question is, do I need all 3 versions?
9
10 Assuming you do not have those versions in world, the answer is:
11
12 yes
13
14 > 'equery depends automake' shows 44 packages, all depending on 1.10* or
15 > higher.
16
17 try running equery depends on a specific version or a SLOT.
18
19 equery lies through it's teeth. basically, it does a giant grep and tries to
20 format the output sensibly. Oftentimes, it doesn't succeed in the "sensibly"
21 department
22
23 > So, can I safely emerge -C the other 2 versions? Should I (does it even
24 > matter)?
25
26 No. The next emerge world will simply pull them back in. But they are build
27 depends so stuff won't stop working
28
29 You're first step though is to check for a dodgy world file with cruft in it.
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com