From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Auto-detecting network I'm connected to
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:07:04
1 Hi all,
2
3 One gentoo notebook running wicd, three general classes of network logon used
4 frequently (dhpc always):
5
6 work - mostly wired, occasionally wireless. There's a plethora of APs to pick
7 from, some official, some rogue. And not all end up being served by the
8 same dhcp server, or even be in sync with each other.
9 home - Easy one. Usually wireless, sometimes wired. I control the router.
10 everything else - friend's houses, other companies, wifi hotspots.
11
12 Thanks to our IT division I get lots of practice in finding interesting ways
13 into the corporate network. Depending on how I'm connected I start up all
14 manner of tunnels, socks proxies and various other bits. Doing this manually
15 is getting tedious.
16
17 So I'm looking for a reasonably reliable way of detecting what served my
18 current IP address so the post-start script in wicd can detect this and launch
19 all the correct things correctly. The actual address range and domain is not
20 the way to go - too many networks dish out 10.0.0.0/8 and example.com for that
21 to work well.
22
23 I have some ideas of my own, but figured I'd ask here as well. Odds are
24 excellent someone will have much better ideas than I.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com