From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 20008 install problem: "Could not find the root block device in ."
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:58:12
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 >> It looks to me like loader can not find my *cdrom*!
3 >> But that is strange, because kernel just booted from CD,
4 >> so it *must* see it!
5 >
6 > Unfortunately, it's the BIOS that does this. The kernel cannot boot by
7 > itself by some magical means. The BIOS must boot it.
8 >
9 > Your hard drives are SATA as well (on the same controller) and only the
10 > CD drive can't be found? That's strange. I suggest opening a bug about
11 > it.
12
13 I have 2 sata hard-drives, and 1 sata dvd-writer, all attached to the
14 same controller (part of nvidia nforce4 southbridge). Despite of that,
15 only hard-drive partitions are correctly detected...
16
17 I tested gentoo-2008.0 on different computer, but again with sata-disk
18 and sata-dvd, and this time P35-chipset (Intel). No problem! It seems
19 to me the problem is in sata_nv module (nVidia chipset): it is loaded,
20 but detects only disks, no cd/dvd drives. Maybe compilled without
21 cd-filesystem support?
22
23 FYI, I downloaded old good install-amd64-minimal-2007.0.iso, burned,
24 booted, and gues what? All works! I'm going to open bug about it...
25
26 Jarry
30 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
31 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.