From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ceph on gentoo?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 09:58:48
1 Am 24.12.2014 um 02:02 schrieb Andrew Savchenko:
2
3 >> Ad "slow": what kind of hardware did you use and how many nodes/osds?
4 >
5 > We used 3 servers, where each server was both node and osd (that's
6 > our hardware limitation). Each machine had hardware alike 2x
7 > Xeon E5450, 16 GB and 2 Gbps network connectivity (via bonding of
8 > two 1 Gbps interfaces).
9 >
10 > We went through a lot of software and kernel tuning, this helped to
11 > solve many issues, but not all of them: ceph nodes still got kernel
12 > panics once in a while. This was unacceptable and we moved for
13 > other approaches to our issues.
14
15 Hmm, that dampens my enthusiasm ;-)
16
17 I watched a presentation on youtube yesterday where they recommended one
18 SSD as journal per ~4 harddisks ... and 4-8 hard disks per OSD node
19 maximum (if I remember correctly). Plus ~1 GHz / 1 core of CPU per OSD
20 ... as a rule of thumb. And 500 MB RAM per OSD ... that were the
21 recommendations in
22
23 http://youtu.be/C3lxGuAWEWU
24
25 -
26
27 Did you have the journal separated on SSDs?
28 I think that would make quite a difference both in performance and cost ;)
29
30 Do you remember the kernel version and ceph version?
31
32 How many disks / OSDs?
33
34 Sorry for being so curious ..