From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:50:34
1 On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mike Edenfield wrote:
3 >
4 >> It was the debug stuff; every line that look like
5 >>
6 >> "dracut: + stuff here"
7 >>
8 >> was debugging information; AFAICT dracut mounted /dev/sda3 as root then
9 >> it mounted the two other partitions it found.
10 >>
11 >> But this could be a problem (from your other email):
12 >>
13 >> root@fireball / # dracut -H -f /boot/init-thingy
14 >> E: Dracut module "lvm" cannot be found.
15 >> E: Dracut module "lvm" cannot be found.
16 >>
17 >> dracut couldn't find it's lvm module, even though your USE flags are set
18 >> correctly. Can you try re-emerging dracut with its current USE flags?
19 >>
20 >> You should have a folder in /usr/lib/dracut/modules named 'lvm' that has
21 >> a 'module-setup.sh' script in it, plus probably some other support
22 >> files, if everything got installed correctly.
23 >>
24 >> --Mike
29 > I have re-emerged dracut several times and it still gives the same
30 > error.  I even tried changing versions once to see if it was a bug or
31 > something.  I found others with errors for other modules but no one
32 > posted a fix.  It's a head scratcher for sure.
33 >
34 > Since lvm is not needed for booting YET, I think my main problem is the
35 > kernel and lvm.  Now, even if I boot with the old kernel and no init
36 > thingy, I have to restart lvm before it will let me mount my /data
37 > partition.  I think when I added the needed stuff for dracut and the
38 > init thingy, it messed up something for lvm.  I can't put my finger on
39 > what yet tho.
40 >
41 > The directory you mentions is there and there is all sorts of goodies in
42 > there.  I'm not sure why dracut is not finding it.
43
44 I do. I don't use LVM, so i didn't had neither USE=device-mapper, nor
45 DRACUT_MODULES=lvm, so I add them. Then I tried to create my initramfs
46 with LVM, and like in your case, it failed. Using the --debug option
47 for dracut, it *seems* (it's really verbose and I didn't read
48 everything), it seems that it doesn't "find" the lvm module not
49 because it's not there, but because I actually don't have any LVM
50 volumes.
51
52 So I removed the -H option for dracut to stop looking at my host
53 status, and lo and behold, it included the LVM module. So please, try
54 that.
55
56 If it works, then there is two options:
57
58 1. Dracut has a bug that stops it from detecting your host LVM status;
59 maybe it only checks the "important" or standard partitions, or maybe
60 the checking process itself has a bug.
61
62 2. Your LVM configuration (while it works) it's not "canonically" detectable.
63
64 Either case, please try re-creating your dracut initramfs without the
65 -H option. I think that's the last problem (the other "problem" was
66 that you got scared with the humongous debug output that dracut
67 generates with dr.debug), and so we can then finally put this case to
68 rest.
69
70 Regards.
71 --