From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tmpfs for portage: how much?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 23:05:49
1 Am 21.01.2014 18:03, schrieb Jarry:
2 > Hi Gentoo-users,
3 >
4 > I would like to use tmpfs for all the package-compilation
5 > to spare my SSD from too many writing-cycles, but I can not
6 > guess how much do I need. I'm rather limited with RAM,
7 > if I use more than 512MB for /var/tmp/portage, my server
8 > lowers buffers/cache to nearly zero and starts swapping...
9 >
10 > So what do your think? Would it be enought to have 512MB
11 > for packages like GCC, Apache, MySQL, Sendmail, Bind?
12 > These are the biggest, rest are much smaller...
13 >
14 > Jarry
15
16 4GB
17
18 and instead of a SSD, see that you get 8 or 16GB of ECC ram.