From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc upgrade - rebuild everything?
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:10:41
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 21:58 on Thursday 21 October 2010, Grant did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > I just upgraded from gcc-4.4.3-r2 to gcc-4.4.4-r2 and I'm wondering if
5 > I really need to rebuild everything as it says in the guide:
6 >
7 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
8
9 No, you do not need to do this. The document is over-reaching (see below)
10
11 I ran a mixture of 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 for ages, completely trouble-free.
12
13 > If not, when is it necessary?
14
15 When you have an ABI change in the code generated by the compiler. In other
16 words, when code generated by this version is incompatible with code generated
17 by that version, and you have both on the same system. This has not happened
18 for a long time in gcc-land.
19
20 Now, about that official doc. Your question comes up with unbelievable
21 regularity and every time the poster references that doc. But it is not
22 necessary to do what the doc says, and a long time ago I think I figured it
23 out.
24
25 The author's intention is less to give you the absolute complete total 100%
26 truth that will always work out just fine, and more to reduce the amount of
27 clutter in his inbox or on b.g.o.
28
29 The rules about how to detect when a rebuild of world is needed are complex
30 and most readers simply will not understand them - they don't understand
31 compiler internals (how many people DO?). But if you tell people to just
32 rebuild world every time, and weird funny lurking problems are likely to just
33 get fixed as a side effect, no real harm is done. Does it hurt the author? No.
34 Does it reduce the amount of bugs he has to deal with on the rare occasion it
35 is needed? Yes.
36
37 What does the user lose? Nothing much, more cpu cycles get used, more bits
38 flip on a disk, your video card gets a work out scrolling all that text. Will
39 you waste time? Yes. Will you break stuff? No.
40
41 So rebuild world if it makes you feel better. But you don't need to this time.
42 The authors of gcc will certainly notify the entire world and it's dogs when
43 you do need to.
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com