From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext4 status - Alternative to ext2/3 for gentoo portage and more
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:59:28
1 On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 14:36 +0100, Strong Cypher wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > I'm looking for an alternative to ext2/3.
8 >
9 > I have put reiser3/4 out because of project seems to be off now ... or
10 > not really active
11 >
12 > I really want an active project.
13 >
14 > Is they a good fs that is extremly adapted to gentoo system
15 > (portage ...)
16 >
17 > Is they fs that support gzip like reiser4 do ?
18 >
19 > For exemple , with reiser4 the portage directory don't take a lot of
20 > space, and so read it it's really fast...
21 >
22 > I want a alternative
23 >
24 > is ext4 a good alternative ?
25
26 Don't know about ext4 but for portage trees I found ext2 to be faster
27 than everything else I tried (primarily reiserfs3.6).
28
29 Have you taken a look at XFS or JFS?
30
31 Concerning online compression I can only think of cramfs (which is
32 read-only) or NTFS (do they support compression by now? I know that I
33 can format a partition and set it to compressed but I've not tried it.)