From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is a USB-key-to-hard-drive-tap-dance-boot possible?
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 23:16:08
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 16:38:13 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> You can also use systemd-boot, a separate package for OpenRC users,
5 >>> which I have used without an initramfs. systemd-boot is very
6 >>> lightweight and only requires a two line config for each kernel, plus
7 >>> a two line general config (timeout and default). That's six lines of
8 >>> config for a choice of two kernels.
9 >>>
10 >>> Of course, if you want absolutely minimal, you don't need any boot
11 >>> manager with UEFI and you can select your kernel from the firmware's
12 >>> boot menu, but that loses you the ability to edit options on the fly.
13 >> Is that similar to the old now gone Grub?  I admit, I sort of liked the
14 >> old grub.  Adding/removing a kernel was pretty darn easy.
15 > It's much simpler. GRUB is a bootloader, UEFI is a bootloader in
16 > firmware, so the software is only used to tell it what to do, not control
17 > the boot process itself.
21 Oh.  I'm still on BIOS so that leaves me out, for now at least.  ;-)
22 That said, my mobo is getting some age on it.  After the internet
23 switch, NAS and such, I plan to build a new rig.  May recycle some stuff
24 but newish anyway.
25
26 Dale
27