From: Stefano Crocco <posta@×××××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems with LyX and xetex-2021
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 17:56:23
1 Hello to everyone,
2 since upgrading my ~arch system to TeXLive-2021 I'm having problems using
3 XeLaTeX to compile LyX documents. Has someone else experienced this issue? I'd
4 like to file a bug report about it, but before doing so I'd like to be sure
5 that there isn't something wrong with my system.
6
7 Below you'll find the details of my problem.
8
9 Thanks in advance
10
11 Stefano
12
13 DETAILS
14
15 When I use LyX to create a PDF using XeLaTeX from the attached test.lyx file
16 (using the default LaTeX (XeTeX) -> PDF (XeTeX) converter), I get an error
17 dialog with the following text:
18
19 The external program
20 xelatex
21 finished with an error. It is recommended you fix the cause of the external
22 program's error (check the logs).
23
24 As far as I can see, the log (attached as log_from_lyx) don't mention any
25 error, except for the generic (at least to my eyes) line
26 "Error 256 (driver return code) generating output;"
27 near the end.
28
29 Trying to obtain a better error message, I exported the LyX file as a XeLaTeX
30 file using the File/Export LaTeX (xetex) menu entry and run xelatex on it. Of
31 course, it failed, but this time the log (in the log_from_xelatex attachment)
32 contains a more meaningful message:
33 "xdvipdfmx:fatal: Cannot proceed without .vf or "physical" font for PDF
34 output..."
35
36 Unfortunately, I'm not expert enough in the inner works of (xe)latex to
37 understand this message. I tried searching google for it but didn't find
38 anything useful. However, looking at the tex file generated by LyX (the
39 test.tex attachment), I noticed the line
40
41 \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
42
43 which seemed strange to me, as I thought that the fontenc package shouldn't be
44 used with XeLaTeX. Indeed, after commenting this line, xelatex successfully
45 created the correct PDF.
46
47 This problem has almost certainly been caused by switching texlive and the
48 related packages from 2020 to 2021, since on another computer where I masked
49 the 2021 version of app-text/texlive-core, app-text/texlive and all packages
50 in category dev-texlive, everything works correctly.

test.lyx application/x-lyx
test.tex text/x-tex
log_from_lyx text/plain
log_from_xelatex text/plain