From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best way to copy /* ?
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 17:51:30
1 Peter Humphrey writes:
2
3 > On Monday 27 December 2010 15:47:19 Dale wrote:
4 > > Some people do use tar especially if it is over a network or
5 > > something like that. I don't have the command tho since I never
6 > > used it.
7 >
8 > Just for completeness:
9 >
10 > (cd [source] && tar cpf - . | (cd [dest] && tar xpf - ) )
11 >
12 > (I think).
13 >
14 > Would someone here please tell me what the rhs should be if the
15 > destination is at the other end of a network link?
16
17 What Maciej said. Or, for greater security when the destination is outside
18 the LAN:
19
20 cd [source] & tar xpf - . | ssh [user]@[host] 'cd [dest] && tar xpf -'
21
22 There's also the -C option for tar to change the directory, but it's not
23 really needed.
24
25 Wonko