From: Sam Bishop <sam@××××××.email>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CI Continuous Integration
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 06:26:05
1 Great response, but I just have to express my difference of opinion here.
2
3 > Gentoo will never be easy,
4 > but it is a very flexible and through solution for many areas of need.
5
6 That flexibility means we who chose to participate in 'building' Gentoo
7 have the power to make it as flexible as we want. I want a future where
8 the ebuild is up there with Make files as a 'standard tool' in the arsenal
9 of software developers, and nothing stops us making it happen.
10
11 There are good examples out there for this:
12 The AUR on Arch Linux, shows how with the right tools and documentation
13 like, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD,
14 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages#PKGBUILD_functions,
15 and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_User_Guidelines#Submitting_packages.
16 and also NetBSD with their pkgsrc tools are very well developed
17 (http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/faq.html#faq-pkgtools)
18 in particular url2pkg and pkglint which let you just 'bootstrap' a package
19 from just a URL to a source tar ball and pkglint, this kind of code shows
20 how easy package creation can be, I think we could even have a web
21 interface for people to submit new software into the 'experimental' pile
22 so that a hypothetical Gentoo CI system can test them out.
23
24 The power at our disposal could even let us 'harvest' the AUR and
25 other software sources mechanically with daily scripts to download
26 their packages, analyse them and build new packages for us.
27 Obviously this would require some effort to build things like
28 dependency translation lists, but to be honest, anything to do
29 with package management is a DEEP rabbit hole we can go down.
30
31 At the moment the more I learn about the ChromeOS tools the more
32 I wonder if I should start counting every ChromeOS, device as a
33 'Gentoo installation that doesn't know it'. Early next year I will probably
34 buy a ChromeBook Pixel in order to experiment more with just how
35 easy it is to put the 'full power' back on top of the ChromeOS base. I
36 suspect it won't be hard, the dev tools let you build packages and push
37 them to a ChromeOS device over the network, I should be able to just
38 either push any new package I want from my sever to the laptop.
39 Or just push portage itself back onto the device.
40
41 Mindful of the aforementioned rabbit hole,
42 I'll stop myself here and sum it up by saying that I don't see any
43 reason Gentoo must be hard.