From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Peeve - finding kernel config options
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:25:15
1 On 2014-02-27, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > make menuconfig
4 > press "/"
5 > type CONFIG_FHANDLE
6 > press enter
7 > profit!!!
8 >
9 > [Note the lack of ??? in the list]
10 >
11 > works like searching in vi or less
12
13 The issue I occasionally have with that is that it only tells you the
14 name of the CONFIG_ variable. It doesn't tell you what the menu entry
15 is. It's not always obvious what menu entry corresponds to
16 CONFIG_<whatever>, and you sometimes have to work your way down the
17 menu looking at the help for each one until you find the one you're
18 looking for. This seems to a problem I run into regularly for things
19 like network drivers. The CONFIG_ variable name usually matches the
20 module name, but but there's often little or no correlation between
21 the CONFIG_ name and the menu entry you use to enable/disable it.
24 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I know th'MAMBO!!
25 at I have a TWO-TONE CHEMISTRY
26 gmail.com SET!!