From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ...recreating exactly the same applications on a new harddisc?
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2020 21:56:24
1 On 4/4/20 11:34 AM, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3
4 Hi,
5
6 > I am currently preparing a new harddisc as home for my new Gentoo
7 > system.
8 >
9 > Is it possible to recreate exactlu the same pool of
10 > applications/programs/libraries etc..., which my current system have -
11 > in one go?
12
13 Baring cosmic influences, I would expect so.
14
15 > That is: Copy <something> from the current system into the chroot
16 > environment, fire up emerge, go to bed and tommorow morning the new
17 > system ready...?
18 >
19 > Does this <something> exists and is it reasonable to do it this way?
20 >
21 > Thanks for any hint in advance!
22
23 I think that any given system is the product of it's various components.
24 Change any of those components, and you change the product.
25
26 I see the list of components as being at least:
27
28 · world file
29 · portage config (/etc/portage)
30 · USEs
31 · accepted keywords
32 · accepted licenses
33 · portage files (/usr/portage)
34 · this significantly influences the version of packages that get
35 installed, which is quite important
36 · kernel
37 · version
38 · config
39
40 Copying these things across should get you a quite similar system. I
41 suspect you would be down to how different packages are configured.
42
43 But the world file is only one of many parts that make up the system.
44
45 I didn't include distfiles because theoretically, you can re-download
46 files. However, I've run into cases where I wasn't able to download
47 something and had to transfer (part of) distfiles too.
48
49 If you're going to the trouble to keep a system this similar, why not
50 simply copy the system from one drive / machine to another?
55 Grant. . . .
56 unix || die