From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive pricing and the near future
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 20:56:43
1 On 06/10/2021 21:20, Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 > But currently the WD Purples and the Seagate Skyhawks should all be CMR.
3 >
4 Seagate have said the Iromwolf range will remain CMR. BarraCuda is now
5 all SMR (renamed from Barracuda, presumably to say it's still the budget
6 range, but the old drives are pre-SMR). I get the impression that
7 FireCuda are the "budget CMR" range, but don't quote me on that.
8
9 > Obviously I have no power to hold them to that, so do not take this as any kind of guarantee. But if they change it without warning they're likely to have a lot of unhappy customers.
10
11 AS WD found out when loads of "marketed for NAS" WD Reds got returned
12 "not fit for purpose" when people put them in NASs.
13
14 Cheers,
15 Wol