From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel GMA 4500MHD
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 10:54:22
1 >> Hello,
2 >>
3 >> I'm looking at a Dell Vostro 1720 Laptop with this Intel video
4 >> chip: Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
5 >>
6 >> Anyone with any experience or comments as to Intel's video
7 >> offerings, as far as it related to (X)/Gentoo on the laptop
8 >> are most welcome.
9 > The software support for Intel graphics itself is pretty good.  They
10 > have in-tree DRI drivers and X drivers and support for GEM and XRANDR
11 > 1.3.  IIRC Keith Packard works both on X11 development and the Intel
12 > drivers so you get a lot of support software-wise.
13 >
14 > As some have reported Intel Graphics cards don't perform as well as
15 > other competitors in 3D graphics.  It's fine though for people like me
16 > who aren't gamers and need powerful graphics hardware.  I use
17 > GNOME/Compiz and things work pretty exceptional (except for the Blur
18 > plugin in Compiz; there's no hardware rendering support; you'll want to
19 > disable that).
22 My experience matches this. If I try to run composite rendering, X
23 eats my CPU time to the point that I can't even use the system for
24 practical purposes.
25
26 I have a 945GM Intel video card.
27
28 I had tried compiz-fusion through kde3 last year, but the performance
29 was much to jittery and slow, so I removed it. I tried to upgrade to
30 kde4 this week, but again X was eating CPU time and making the whole
31 machine run hot and slow. I can't be 100% sure it was the video card
32 and composite rendering, but I believe it was the problem. So I
33 switched to xfce and now I'm happy.
34
35 So, if you want to run 3D graphics and composite rendering, maybe not intel?
36
37 ~daid