From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 19:23:10
1 On Sunday, May 04, 2014 09:03:08 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 04.05.2014 20:40, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
3 > > On Sunday, May 04, 2014 03:07:28 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
4 > >> Oh, yes, I like ZFS and its features and used it in some cases already.
5 > >> But I didn't yet take the step to set up ZFS-root on my work machines.
6 > >
7 > > I haven't yet, but it's on the list of items to look into at some point.
8 > > I'd like to know if, with ZFS, it is possible to create block-devices like
9 > > LVs which I can then attach to VMs. Or if I have to use files instead.
10 > I think you would have to use files on top of ZFS ... but I am not
11 > up-to-date in that area.
12 >
13 > People run KVM-hosts with storage on ZFS ... nice with the snapshots etc ...
14
15 Does KVM support running snapshots?
16 Eg. also storing the memory and registers?
17 I have not found any indication that KVM supports that.
18
19 Without that, KVM is useless to me.
22 > > That's a hardware raid device with 4 * 3TB disks with raid-6.
23 > > I don't like the fact that a 2nd disk-failure can kill a raid-10 when both
24 > > disks are in the same mirror-set.
25 > >
26 > > gdisk automatically aligns on 2048 sector boundaries, that is more then
27 > > enough for the 4k-sectors and the block/stripe sizes employed by the
28 > > raid-controller.
29 > Yes, this is for UEFI booting, thanks.
30 >
31 > I tried to migrate to GPT/BIOS-booting today but failed. It seems my
32 > mainboard/BIOS has problems detecting that ... I vaguely remember this
33 > from trying it back then.
34
35 I thought the MBR info that's possible with GPT would make it possible with
36 any BIOS?
37 Provided the /boot partition is early enough on the disk.
38
39 > So I am back on a freshly partitioned and formatted SSD with plain old
40 > MBR now.
41 >
42 > I also wanted to partition the SSD according to the Erase Block Size of
43 > 6144 kB by this way ... dunno if this is still needed or has any real
44 > speed benefits.
45
46 Again, I would expect current tools should do that automagically?
47
48 > Maybe I take another approach to migrate to UEFI/GPT in the next days,
49 > now that I have my rsynced filesystems at hand (I got rid of more LVs
50 > and stuff so it gets pretty slim now).
51
52 Less LVs is simpler. More is more flexible.
53
54 > > UUIDs, I believe, do work natively. And those are stored inside the
55 > > partition itself. Which means they should also work. But are not as easy
56 > > to locate. (eg. you don't specify them yourself)
57 >
58 > Yep. LABELs are human readable ... big advantage.
59
60 I would like LABELs to be supported directly by the kernel.
61
62 > > See the partitioning on my server above.
63 > > It boots using BIOS as I haven't been able to boot Xen using UEFI yet.
64 >
65 > So then the EFI partition is useless ...
66
67 True, but I leave it there as repartitioning requires extended downtime. And I
68 do occasionally test new versions to see if I can get it to work.
69
70 > > Support should be there now, but not been able to test that yet.
71 > > GPT is supported by grub-1 (and grub2) and with the MBR-support inside
72 > > GPT,
73 > > booting works from BIOS/MBR.
74 >
75 > ... if your BIOS isn't crappy ;-)
76
77 Try updating? :)
78
79 Seriously, do you have the following:
80
81 ***
82 # man gdisk
83 artemis ~ # gdisk -l /dev/sda
84 GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8
85
86 Partition table scan:
87 MBR: protective
88
89 ***
90
91 That last line of what I copied is the bit that should make it possible.
92
93 Also, the /boot partition needs to have the mbr-boot flag (or whatever it's
94 called) enabled.
97 Joost