From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ext4 - fill_buffer on unknown block <BLOCKID> out of range
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:16:35
1 ext4: "fill_buffer on unknown block <BLOCKID> out of range"
2
3 I have seen a number of these appearing in my dmesg recently for a
4 new-ish external disk. I'm afraid that it's a paraphrase, as I am away
5 from the machine at present.
6
7 ckfs.ext4 -f comes back clean and smartmontools reports nothing out
8 of the ordinary.
9
10 I have been running Picasa through wine, which is probably the
11 application using the disk.
12
13 What does this error imply? I'm guessing that they are failed writes,
14 but if so, why is ckfs reporting that the filesystem is clean?
15
16 I'm guessing that it means that data has been lost, but am uncertain
17 how to determine which files are bad.
18
19 Any advice or help would be appreciated -
20
21 James