From: Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Need advice from people who use non-ascii all day long
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:50:52
1 Hi!
2
3 On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:20:03 -0800
4 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
5 > In Germany is a district "Busingen", with an umlauted 'u'. Is it
6 > reasonable to consider it the same word whether with or without the
7 > unlauted u?
8
9 No. For many words it would be ok, but not for all. For example,
10 "drucken" means "to print", "drücken" (with an umlaut) means "to
11 press". In German you can exchange an umlaut with the combination "base
12 letter + e", i.e. ü --> ue, ö --> oe, and ß --> ss. There are words
13 with the combination "oe" that is in that particular case does not mean
14 "ö". So it's not straight forward, especially with names. Those may
15 have a rather odd spelling for historical reasons.
16
17 > Or put another way, I don't know much about German, French, Spanish,
18 > etc keyboards. Do your keyboards have any of the extra keys, all of
19 > them? Are German keyboards and French and Spanish keyboards as
20 > restricted to their own languages as US keyboards are? If you have to
21 > hit two or three keys to keep the umlauts, accents, and tildes, do you
22 > get lazy sometimes and type the base character by itself? Is it even
23 > considered the base character, or is it considered lazy and sloppy,
24 > much as I get complaints about typing "thru" because "through" is too
25 > much trouble?
26
27 German keyboards have keys for all umlauts and 'ß'. You can google for
28 pictures of different keyboard layouts.
29
30 > I need something the equivalent of the C function strcasecmp() which
31 > not only ignores case, but all other differences without distinction,
32 > whatever they may be.
33
34 I'd suggest you use a unicode library. BTW, what about cyrillic
35 letters or other alphabets? Those may have nothing to do with ASCII. Or
36 is your project restricted to latin letters?
39 Cheers,
40 Renat
43 Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
44 durch die sie entstanden sind.
45 (Einstein)