From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] seamonkey runs too slow
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 15:24:37
1 James wrote:
2 > I have the latest version of seamonkey installed. It has been running
3 > slower with each of the recent upgrades. I noticed now that the
4 > "roaming" flag is default on, so I am going to recomile with this flag
5 > off. Here are my current seamonkey settings:
8 > Installed versions: 2.26.1(15:58:22 06/28/14)(alsa chatzilla crypt dbus ipc
9 > jit libnotify roaming -custom-cflags <the rest oof the flags are off>
12 > So suggestions as to how to make seamonkey run faster are most warranted. I
13 > do keep open lots of windows but that was never a problem in the past.
14 >
15 > I have an AMD-FX8350 mobo (not-clock-yet) with 32 G of ram. hotp shows only
16 > one to 2 processors being used, and less than 1/4 the ram being used. Still
17 > the latency is why to high for anything I do on the system; the seamonkey
18 > latency is getting worse with every upgrade of the system. I have rebooted,
19 > and looked and can find nothing slowing down the system due to resource
20 > constraint.
21 >
22 > Suggestions are most welcome.
23 >
24 > relevant make.conf :
25 > CFLAGS=" -march=native -O2 -pipe"
26 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
27 > CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
28 > MAKEOPTS="-j9 -l9"
29 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=""
30 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=8 --load-average=16 --keep-going=y "
31 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --autounmask-write y"
35 > James
38 Save this as a last resort. When I run into something weird like this,
39 I usually do a emerge -e world. Some may call it over kill but I can't
40 count the number of times that doing that has fixed a issue. Issues
41 includes weird crashes, processes hogging up the CPU, excessive use of
42 memory etc etc etc. The best I can figure, something gets out of sync
43 and emerge -e world fixes it.
44
45 FYI. When I update, I run emerge -uvaDN world and have backtrack set to
46 30. Even with that, sometimes a emerge -e world fixes what nothing else
47 does. I have been known to increase backtrack with no change.
48
49 As mentioned, save that as a last resort. It could be that someone else
50 has ran into this same issue and has found a fix. ;-)
51
52 Dale
53