From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Giving Gentoo Another Go
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 06:17:15
1 Not sure of any books, but some documents on the Gentoo Wiki about the
2 various projects are helpful.
3
4 I use /etc/portage/package.{use,accept_keywords}/* in a somewhat unusual
5 way. For each package
6 that needs tuning the USE flags beyond the eselected profile and some
7 globals in make.conf, I have
8 a file named "<catedory>.<pkg>" (e.g. media-libs.mesa) with a few handling
9 some multiples. This lets me
10 tune packages in a fine grained manner, and still see which ones I have
11 fixed quickly.
12
13 For example:
14 In eselect profile: default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde
15
16 In make.conf:
17 ​ (may well repeat some from profile, try to group by functionality)​
18 USE="smp \
19 cdr dvd dvdr css usb -bluetooth \
20 caps branding unicode ipv6 tcpd \
21 kde qt4 qt3support plasma gtk -gnome \
22 dbus udev udisks perl samba \
23 icu idn maildir -mbox \
24 alsa -pulseaudio ffmpeg -libav gstreamer \
25 X glamor opengl xattr xine xinerama xv xvid \
26 sdl wxwidgets \
27 ogg theora vorbis flac dirac schroedinger mp3 mp4 matroska mtp \
28 a52 aac audiofile cdda faac libsamplerate sndfile x264 \
29 vdpau xcb vaapi quvi \
30 lzma lzo lz4 zlib \
31 cvs git subversion \
32 sqlite mysql introspection \
33 bash-completion vim-syntax \
34 fontconfig truetype threads nptl \
35 ruby_targets_ruby21 -ruby_targets_ruby19 -ruby19 \
36 -nepomuk -semantic-desktop \
37 -ldap -evo -eds \
38 offensive"
39 ​and an ls(1) of
40 /et​c/portage/package.accept_keywords
41 :
42
43 app-admin.mcelog
44 app-arch.lzma
45 app-cdr.k3b
46 app-emulation.qemu
47 app-emulation.virtualbox
48 app-forensics.unhide
49 app-portage.layman
50 app-text.yodl
51 dev-libs.libebml
52 dev-libs.nss
53 dev-libs.pugixml
54 dev-python.pyGPG
55 dev-python.pymountboot
56
57 ...
58 virtual.ffmpeg
59 virtual.libusb
60 www-client.chromium
61 www-client.firefox
62 x11-libs.libva
63 x11-libs.libva-intel-driver
64 x11-libs.libva-vdpau-driver
65 x11-libs.wxGTK
66 zzzpackages.keywords
69 The last entry is an empty file to catch the "automagic" changes portage
70 may propose so that they can be
71 broken out into individual files. package.use/* is similar.
72
73 I have found some wedged cases where there isn't any way to solve it except
74 by using
75 some "unstable" arch packages (while waiting for them to be stabilized.)
76 ​It may seem unwieldy, but I fnid it much easier to deal with than one big
77 file with all the
78 packages isted in it.
79 For example, in /etc/portage/package.use/app-office.akonadi-server I have:
80
81 ​app-office/akonadi-server soprano -sqlite
82
83 ​which makes the emerge be quiet about having both mysql and sqlite enabled.
84
85 Don't be afraid to ask questions, it is an easy cure.​
89 G.Wolfe Woodbury
90 redwolfe@×××××.com