From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update remote system in background
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 14:16:28
1 On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 08:06:53 -0400,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 6:31 AM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 10:41:24 +0200, Michele Alzetta wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > ... I just hope the remote system isn't running systemd, if so, you
9 > > > have to do some additional tweaking before screen or tmux work. I know
10 > > > someone who was bitten hard by this. Apparently systemd by default
11 > > > closes all running processes of a user on logout.
12 > >
13 > > I've never seen this and I regularly update systemd computers using tmux.
14 >
15 > It is a configurable option. I can't imagine that many distros enable
16 > it by default since it is likely to be shocking to anybody who
17 > actually knows how to use screen, and pointless for anybody who does
18 > not. :)
19 >
20 > To enable it set KillUserProcesses=yes in /etc/systemd/logind.conf
21 >
22 > If you do use it there are ways to make exceptions for particular processes.
23 >
24 > I can certainly see how it is a useful feature to have available in
25 > specific contexts, but obviously most people will want to have it
26 > turned off.
27
28 Or simplest of all use the at command possibly using script as the
29 command line and some way to answer the do you want to emerge
30 ... question.
33 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
34 How do
35 you spend it?
36
37 John Covici wb2una